My musical tastes are rather varied, but I don’t think the playlists I have posted so far have been quite varied enough to truly represent me. For this month’s post, I’ve decided to jump into the side of my musical pool that I know the absolute least about. Rap and Hip-Hop.
What can I say about Rap and Hip-Hop? I love it. Not all of it, and some of it I really do not care for, which basically makes it just like any other musical style, except for one very key element. I know next to nothing about it. I don’t have a good grasp on the differences between styles or sub-genres. I know nothing of the history or even what is currently considered popular. I don’t know the underground. Hell, I don’t even understand how things end up on Top 40 these days. As such, I am always hesitant to suggest anything from this area of the musical world to anyone, as they are almost certain to finger me as a fraud.
At great risk of what little reputation I have, I have decided to treat this as I have been treating so many things these days. When I ask myself if I should, the response is so often, “Um… yeah. Fuck it.” So Fuck it. Here’s the Rap and Hip-Hop songs I’m listening to these days, oldies and newies.
Aaron’s Notes’ Playlist of the Month – August: Sometimes I Listen to Rap
- “Hustler Music” – Lil Wayne
- “I See Now” – Little Brother ft. Kanye West
- “Get Up, Get Out” OutKast
- “Smell Yo Dick” – Riskay
- “Cashin’ out” – Ca$h Out
- “HYFR” – Drake ft. Lil Wayne
- “Faded” – Tyga, Lil Wayne
- “Mercy” – Kayne West (though, really, aren’t we all listening to this right now?)
- “Blast” – Talib Kweli
- “Hol’ upd” – Kendrick Lamar
- “F*ck Your Ethnicity” – Kendrick Lamar
- “Daughters” – Nas
- “Don’t Touch Me (Throw Da Water On ‘Em)” – Busta Rhymes
- “Exhibit C” – Just Blaze, Jay Electronica
tl;dr – It’s a playlist of my limited understanding of the Rap and Hip-Hop worlds. Pleased to be enjoyings.
And I’m sorry that this is mad late. I’m not that sorry, though. This is free to you and costs me money, so… yeah.