I prepare most of my own meals. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner – I do it myself, and I’m not just popping a TV dinner into the microwave. I can cook, I enjoy cooking, and I get healthier meals when cook for myself instead of dining out or ordering in. Thing is – I’m a single dude. Single dude cooking isn’t hard, but if you want something healthy and tasty, it can be difficult to plan out such meals. It’s even more of a pain if you want something cost effective and time efficient. I find that most recipes are written for two to six people. I could (and sometime do) work out the math on the ingredient list to make it work as a single serving, but anyone who cooks knows that it doesn’t always work if you try to make something in smaller batches. That’s where my tricks come in: Shitloads of freezer-worthy containers.
I almost always cook for multiple meals. If a recipe makes four servings, I’ll eat one that night and freeze three. The real trick is meal planning. When do I cook it? When do I eat each serving? What ingredients do I need? How much fridge/freezer space do I need? and so on. Look, I know I’m not cracking the atom here. This is a pretty old concept, and I have to figure that most families do it all the time. It’s proven its worth time and time again. Still, most of my friends, family, and acquaintances haven’t figured this one out.
This doesn’t work for everything – I don’t like to cook a steak or most fish until I’m ready to eat it.
Here’s some stuff that works well:
- Most Chicken
- Most Pork
- Non-steak beef dishes
- Pasta sauces
- Salad toppings
- Roasted veggies
- Boiled veggies
- Dishes based on rice or hearty grains
- Hearty bean dishes
- Even a roast
- Chili. Chili is a freezer fucking KING!
- Bananas. It’s complicated, but I’ll explain it in a few posts.
- Shrimp – depending on how you cook it
- Small scallops – not so much the bigguns
Here’s some shit that doesn’t work:
- Steak. Really. The fuck are you doing not cooking it on the spot?
- Fish. You might be able to get by with white fish, but its texture will turn to cat food.
- BBQ chicken
- Buffalo wings… though there is a way
- Pasta. And why the hell would ya’?
- Salad (call me Captain Obvious)
- Avocado. What a waste.
- Melons. Though melon balls do alright.
- Bananas. Unless you have plans for it…
- Most foods that need to taste fairly fresh are fucked. Fee fie fo fum and other “f” words. Fuck.
I have a fair cache of recipes that I know like the back of my hand. I could cook them in my sleep – though maybe that’s not such a great idea. When I have a really busy week ahead of me, I’ll knock out a few meals in one go. Yes, I’m for serious. If I have a really lazy Sunday, I’ll cook two to four dishes at once. Maybe whip up some challah or prepare some pizza dough, as well. I’ll portion and package the dishes, label them, and put them in order like some kind of obsessive compulsive serial killer. No promises that I’m not one.
tl;dr – Cooking for one involves a shitload of freezing.
I’m thinking about slapping a few of my recipes up here. Maybe I’ll do a theme week.